Your are here:


Pali is the administrative headquarters of the Pali district in the state of Rajasthan. It is located in the Marwar region and is situated on the banks of the Bandi River. The town was earlier known as Pallika and Palli.

Pali is known as “The Industrial City” owning to the large number of factories and industries here. Pali is known for its textile industries and it is one of the major exporters of cotton and synthetic clothes to other parts of the country. In fact, since ancient times the place has been an important centre of trade.

Pali is considered an important historical town in the state and has seen the rise and fall of many dynasties which have ruled it over the ages. The town derives its name from the Paliwal Brahmins who used to reside here long time ago.

There are quite a few temples and forts in the town. The Ranakpur Jain temple built in the 15th century by Rana Kumbha of Mewar, is one of the well known temples here. The Parshuram Mahadev Temple, Temple of Chamunda Mata, Temples of Somnath and Naulakha, and Hatundi Rata Mahabir Swami Temple are some of the other important temples in Pali.

The Bangur Museum is an interesting place to visit in Pali. It is located by the old bus stop and has a wide collection of historical artefacts, old coins, erstwhile royal costumes and dresses, jewellery and other items which are of interest to tourists.

The Lakhotia Garden is another popular tourist site in Pali. It is located right in the centre of the town and is surrounded by a pond with a Shiva Temple in the middle of the garden. Pali is also known for its many Baoris which are step wells with intricate and artistic designs in each step.

Pali is connected by National Highway 111, which connects Bilaspur and Ambikapur. Road connectivity to the town is good and there are direct buses from Pali to nearby cities like Jodhpur and Udaipur. It is around 72 km from the famous tourist city of Jodhpur, and the airport here is the nearest one to Pali. Pali Marwar is the nearest railway station.

Being in the desert state of Rajasthan, the climate here is dry and extreme. Summer is quite hot and uncomfortable, while winter is pleasant making it the ideal time to visit the town.
Pali (formerly known as Pallika and Palli) was a trade centre. In the 11th century AD, Pali was ruled by the Guhilas of Mewar. In the 12th century it became a part of the Nadol kingdom and was ruled by the Chauhan clan. In 1153 AD it was ruled by Chalukya Kumarpal and his feudatory Vahadadeva. Then it came under possession of Songara Chauhans of Jalore.

The Rathor dynsasty chronicles relate that Siyaji or Sheoji, grandson of Jai Chandra, the last Gahadvala Rathore king of Kannauj, came to Marwar on a pilgrimage to Dwarka in Gujarat, and on halting at the town of Pali he and his followers settled there to protect the Brahmin community from the raids of marauding bands. His devali with the inscription of 1273 AD was discovered 21 km north west of Pali. Champavatas Rathores ruled Pali until 1761 AD when it became part of Jodhpur state.

Rao Chanda, tenth in succession from Siyaji, finally wrested control of Marwar from the Pratiharas. His son and successor, Rao Jodha, moved the capital to the city of Jodhpur, which he founded in 1459. Pali remained a part of the Marwar kingdom until 1949, when the last ruling Maharaja acceded to newly-independent India. The oldest temple in Pali is the temple of Somanatha. Maharana Pratap was born in Pali. His birth place is known as Juni Kacheri Near Dhanmandi. Maharan Pratap's Statue inograted on 4 June 2011 By District Collector Mr. Neeraj Kumar Pawan. Geologists trace the existence of Pali to pre-historic age and maintain that it has emerged from the vast western sea spread over a large part of the present day Rajasthan. In the Vedic age Maharsi Javali stayed in this area for meditation and interpretation of Vedas. The Pandavas in the Mahabharata age also have made this area (near Bali) their resting place during the exile. As a part of ancient Arbuda Province, this area was known as Balla-Desh.

Historical relics depict the existence of this area during the Kushana Age, when King Kannishka had conquered Rohat and Jaitaran area, parts of today's Pali district, in 120 AD. Till the end of seventh century A. D., this area was reigned by the Chalukya King Harshavardhana who also conquered Bhinmal and most of the present area of Rajasthan.

After the Arab invasions of India this area was concentrated by Rajput rulers from all over India. During the period from 10th to 15th century, boundaries of Pali extended to adjoining Mewar, Godwad and Marwar. All Rajput rulers resisted the foreign invaders but individually fought for each other's land and leadership.

After the defeat of Prithvi Raj Chouhan, the great warrior against Mohd. Gauri, the Rajput power of the area was disintegrated and Mewar and Godwad area of Pali become the subjects of then ruler of Mewar, Maharana Kumbha. But Pali city which was ruled by Brahmin rulers with the patronage of neighbouring Rajput rulers, remained peaceful and progressive.

16th and 17th century saw a number of battles in the surrounding areas of Pali. Shershah suri was defeated by Rajput rulers in the battle of Gini, Mughal emperor Akbar's army had constant battles with Maharana Pratap in Godwad area. Again after the Mughals had conquered almost all of Rajputana, Veer Durga Das Rathore of Marwar made organized efforts to redeem the Marwar area from Aurangzeb, the last Mughal emperor. By then Pali had become subservient to Rathores of Marwar state. Pali was rehabilitated by Maharaja Vijay Singh and soon it became an important commercial center.

Role in struggle for freedom: Under British rule pali played an important role by pioneering the freedom struggle in Marwar. Various Thakurs of pali under the stewardship of Thakur of Auwa, who was the most powerful of all, confronted with the British rule. Auwa fort was surrounded by the British army and then conflicts lasted by 5 days, when at last the fort was possessed by the British army. But this heroie action of Auwa paved the way for continued and organised struggle for freedom.