Your are here:


Jorhat is one of the major cities in Assam which acts as a gateway to upper Assam and to Nagaland. It was the last capital of the Ahom Kingdom. It is the home to many historical monuments of Assamese culture. The city today has evolved to be one of the major commercial and business hubs of the state with growing numbers of shopping malls, restaurants, Hotels, flats and educational institutions. The city also serves as the base for tourism to famous places such as the Kaziranga National park and the largest river island Majuli.
Jorhat("jor" means join and "hat" means market) means two hats or mandis-“Macharhat” and “Chowkihat” which existed on the two different banks of the river Bhogdoi. During the 18th Century, Jorhat was the last capital of the Ahom Kingdom, as a planned town under royal patronage. It is often spelt as "Jorehaut" during the British reign. In the year 1794, the Ahom King Gaurinath Singha shifted the capital from Sibsagar, erstwhile Rangpur to Jorhat. Many tanks were built around the capital city by the Ahom royalty such as Rajmao Pukhuri or Borpukhuri, Buragohain Pukhuri, Bolia Gohain Pukhuri, Kotoki Pukhuri and Mitha Pukhuri. This town was a flourishing and commercial metropolis but completely destroyed by a series of Burmese invasions of Assam between 1817 and the arrival of the British force in the year 1824 under the stewardship of David Scott and Captain Richard.

The British Rule, though not free from rebellions and revolutions, contributed to the reemergence of this historical town. From the very first decade of the British rule, revolutionaries like Gomdhar Konwar, Jeuram Medhi, and Piyali Phukan emerged. The British system of administration came into vogue in the year 1839 with an established Police Thana. During the great Sepoy Mutiny, Maniram Dewan and Piyali Barua were hanged in public at this very place in 1858.

In 1885, a narrow gauge railway, Jorhat Provincial Railway, became operational. In time, this contributed to the rapid growth of the tea industry.

Although, the Civil Sub-division under Sibsagar district at Jorhat was formed in 1869, it was declared the administrative headquarters of the undivided Sibsagar district in 1911. The Sibsagar District comprised the present Sibsagar, Jorhat and Golaghat districts and parts of Karbi-Anglong district. Major A. Playfare served as the first Deputy Commissioner. Presently, Jorhat is being modernized with many new commercial and non-commercial establishments. The old families of this ever prosperous city have transformed the once sleepy city into a bustling and a well organised entity.

Jorhat Photos