Your are here:


Dindigul is a City and District headquarters in Tamil Nadu state of southern India. This is a 11th largest Urban Agglomeration based on census 2011 in Tamil Nadu The name Dindigul comes from the Portmanteau of “Thindu” meaning pillow and “kal” meaning Rock and refers to the bare hill dominating the city’s both land and skyscape. While it is largely known as the “City of Locks,Briyani City, Textiles and Tannery", this piece of land sandwiched between the Palani and Sirumalai Hills has 200,000 hectares of cultivable land and agriculture continues to be the main occupation of its inhabitants. A reserved forest area of 85 hectares rich in flora and fauna enhances Dindigul’s appeal. Particularly the Kurinji flowers found on the rolling green hills of lower Palani range, which bloom once in 12 years is well known.

Dindigul - Fort On the hill at a height of 280 ft. In the year 1605 Madurai King 'Muthu Krishna Naicker' started the construction of this Fort. In 1623 to 1659 Mannar Thirumalai Naicker completed this. In 1755 Hyder Ali was escorting Fakhr-Un-Nisha his wife and Five years old Tipu to Dindigul. From 1784 to 1790 the Fort was under the rule of 'Tipu Sultan'. In 1784, the Tipu's commandant Syed Ibrahim, under whose care the Fort was, constructed many rooms in the Fort, strengthened the walls and also conducted repairs. During the year 1790 in the Mysore war Tipu was defeated and the Fort came into the hands of English.