The Political and Administrative History of Anjaw as a District dates back to 1914, when British Administration created North East Frontier Tract to administer three areas, namely The Central & Eastern Section, The Lakhimpur Frontier Tract, and The Western Section. In order to look after the tract, a Political Officer was posted in each section. In 1919, Central and Eastern Section was renamed as Sadiya Frontier Tract while Western Section was re-organized as Balipara Frontier Tract. Present Lohit District including Anjaw was a part of Sadiya Frontier Tract with its headquarter at Sadiya. The Administrative Setup of North East Frontier Tract underwent another change 24 years later when Tirap Frontier Tract was carved out from Lakhimpur Frontier Tract in 1943. In 1948, Sadiya Frontier Tract was bifurcated and two districs namely Abor Hills District, comprising of Adi inhabitated areas and Mishmi Hills District, comprising of Mishmi inhabitated areas were created. Accordingly, North East Frontier Agency came into existence in the year. On 13th August 1952, Tezu became the Headquarter of Mishmi Hills District while Hayuliang was upgraded to the Headquarter of Asstt. Political Officer that began functioning by 1953. Two years later, in 1954, Mishmi Hills District was remnamed as Lohit Frontier Division. Subsequently, in 1956, Dibang Valley was constituted as a separate Sub-Division with Headquarter at Roing. Nine years later, in 1965, Lohit Frontier Division was changed to Lohit District. For Administrative Convenience, Dibang Valley with Headquarter at Anini was carved out of Lohit District in 1980.
The administrative district of Anjaw is situated in the north eastern province of Arunachal Pradesh. The easternmost district of the state, Anjaw, located at an altitude of 1,296 metres above sea level, shares its border with China. Anjaw is situated along the banks of the Lohit River, a tributary of the Brahmaputra.

The district was created in the reorganisation of the Districts Amendment Bill on 16th February 2004 with Hawai as the administrative headquarters. The district is made up of seven administrative units, which include Chaglogam, Goiliang, Hayuliang, Hawai, Kibithoo, Manchal and Walong.

Hayuliang is a famous location in the district at a distance of 100 km from Tezu. The conjunction of Lohit River and the Dalai River provides beautiful views of the landscape. On the other hand, Chaglogam and Walong are popular trekking locations.

Kibithoo is a scenic town featuring waterfalls, hot springs and dense forests. The township is inhabited by two main tribes, the Zedkring and the Mishmi who are expert craftsmen. Their crafts are popular as souvenirs.

Tourists can reach the destination by air and rail transport. The airbase of Guwahati, Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, is connected with major cities of the country and has regular flights. Helicopters are also available from the main city of Tezu till Hayuliang in the Anjaw District. Besides, travellers can also reach Anjaw through trains at Tinsukia railway station, which is closest to Anjaw.

The sub tropical climate makes Anjaw a year round destination though the ideal time to visit is during the summer months of April, May and June.

Anjaw Photos